Here is the procedures to install EPrints 3.3.x on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. EPrints wrote on PERL. Installation requirements are Linux (Debian/Ubuntu/Red Hat), MySQL and Apache. Here is the step by step instructions;
1. Become a root user
2. Update the Ubuntu
3. Install a simple and lightweight text editor
apt install leafpad
4. Add the EPrints repository to Ubuntu.
Open the sources list file,
Copy and paste the following lines into the bottom of the file,
deb http://deb.eprints.org/stable ./
Save and close the file.
Add EPrints repository key,
wget -O - http://deb.eprints.org/keyFile | apt-key add -
Update the repository index,
5. Install EPrints
apt install eprints
The installation process will ask to create Root password for MySQL Database. Enter the new root password and note down it.
6. Apache configuration
Add EPrints site to Apache web server,
Reload Apache server
service apache2 reload
7. Post installation configuration
Login as eprints user,
Enter inside EPrints installation folder,
Apply the following command to start the configuration,
Ready to answer the following questions. See the questions and sample answers.
1. Archive ID? eprints
2. Configure vital settings? [yes] ? Press the Enter button
3. Hostname? eprints.library.org
4. Webserver Port  ? Press the Enter button
5. Alias (enter # when done) [#] ? Press the Enter button
6. Path [/] ? Press the Enter button
7. HTTPS Hostname  ? Press the Enter button
8. Administrator Email? Enter the administrator email here.
9. Archive Name [Test Repository] ? eprints
10. Write these core settings? [yes] ? Press the Enter button
11. Configure database? [yes] ? Press the Enter button
13. Database Name [eprints] ? Press the Enter button
14. Database Password [WUnE0TiC]? You can enter a different password. Note down the password.
15. Database Engine [MyISAM] ? Press the Enter button
16. Write these database settings? [yes]? Press the Enter button
17. Create database "eprints" [yes] ? Press the Enter button
18. Database Superuser Username [root]? Press the Enter button
19. Database Superuser Password? Enter the MySQL Root password. Password will not display here.
20. Create database tables? [yes] ? Press the Enter button
21. Create an initial user? [yes] ? Press the Enter button
22. Enter a username [admin] ? Press the Enter button
23. Select a user type (user|editor|admin) [admin] ? Press the Enter button
24. Enter Password? Enter a password and note down it. We need it while login as admin.
25. Email? Enter an email for the admin user. Press the Enter button
26. Do you want to build the static web pages? [yes]? Press the Enter button
27. Do you want to import the LOC subjects? [yes]? Press the Enter button
28. Do you want to update the apache config files? (you still need to add the 'Include' line) [yes]? Press the Enter button
8. Finishing of post-installation configuration
Exit from EPrints user
Restart Apache server
9. Change the Hostname
Open the following file and give the Hostname,
Add the following line,
If your computer inside a network, find the IP and add to the hosts' file.
e.g. 192.168.1.200 eprints.library.org
10. Open EPrints
Open a Web browser and put the following address in the bar,
Log into Eprints by clicking Login link on the home page. Log in using the username admin and apply the password you have enter while the post-installation configuration.
1. Installing EPrints on Debian/Ubuntu